Frequently Asked Questions

Can anyone become a CFR?

You must be over 18 years, hold a full driving licence and have access to a car for when you are on call. You must be reasonably fit and be physically capable of moving a patient when necessary.

Do you need any previous medical experience to become a CFR?

No, volunteers do not need previous first aid experience to join their local group, as full training will be provided. .

How long will the initial training last?

The initial course is delivered over one full day, held on either a Saturday or a Sunday. .

Is there additional training?

CFR’s will continue their training by attending monthly training sessions with their CFR group. .

Different subjects are covered every month and each one relates only to the type of conditions that CFR’s can attend. .

Will I have to be assessed and how often?

After the initial course assessment, every Community First Responder (CFR) is then re-assessed every two years. .

What type of incidents will I be sent to?

A responder is sent to a patient suffering from one of the following medical condition. .

  • Chest Pain
  • Cardiac arrest
  • Heart attack
  • Choking
  • Collapsed or Unconscious patients
  • Stroke
  • The Ambulance Service will not knowingly send a CFR to any incident involving trauma, violence, drugs, or Road Traffic Collisions. You will never knowingly be sent to any incident where there is any risk or danger to yourself. .

    What age of patient will I be asked to attend?

    CFR’s are sent to patients of all age groups. .

    How often do I have to be available "on call"?

    This is dependent upon you and your work or family commitments. The level of cover varies from group to group. In most groups you can cover as many or as few hours as you like. .

    Will I get paid for being on call or attending an incident?

    No. It is unpaid voluntary work. .

    How do I get to an incident?

    It is essential that you own or have access to a car and hold a FULL Irish driving licence. .

    Will it affect my car insurance?

    Not usually, but some insurance companies may make a small charge depending on your current policy. .

    What about personal insurance?

    The National Ambulance Service provide this cover providing you are acting on their behalf i.e. you are responding to an emergency call out from Ambulance Control. .

    Can I exceed the speed limit when responding to a call?

    No. All volunteers must adhere to the Highway Code at all times and are not allowed to exceed the speed limit or ignore any traffic sign. .